Marty McGuire

Archive for May 2024

Fri May 24
πŸ” Reposted
post from The AI data goldmine
If I was a nefarious software company, here’s how I might be thinking:AI functionality tends to require that data is sent to a centralized service for processing.This is often data that is not being shared online in any other way that is easily available for analysis: existential …
Fri May 10

Don't get me started on Squarespace

I guess it was in early 2019 when Google announced they would be breaking thousands of development and test environments by making the ".dev" domain a thing (archive link to announcement).

Four years later they sold their entire Google Domains operation to Squarespace (archived).

And, yeah, I have two of these ".dev" domains registered and so this has now become my problem. And remains my problem! Here's the timeline so far.

  • April 1, 2024 - I receive my first "<domain> is now available in your Squarespace Domains account" email. I grudgingly sign in and confirm that this is real. I decide to wait until all (2) of my domains are in their system to do anything about it.
  • April 23, 2024 - 22 days later I received the second and final "is now available in your Squarespace Domains account" email.
  • May 9, 2024, I'm guessing 7pm-ish EDT - I start the process of migrating both domains to another registrar. The new registrar helps walk me through the process of unlocking the domain at Squarespace and requesting the required transfer code. To my annoyance, Squarespace informs me that they may take up to 24 hours to send the transfer code.
  • May 9, 2024, 11:15pm EDT - Squarespace sends the transfer codes.
  • May 10, 2024, 12pm-ish EDT - I enter the codes at the new registrar and pay for the transfer. About 15 minutes later, the new registrar lists the transfer as "Awaiting release from previous registrar." According to discussions I found in searching, this usually means there is a button to push on the old registrar's dashboard to approve the transfer. I check my Squarespace Domains account and cannot find any such button or indication that the transfer is happening.
  • May 10, 2024, 2:34pm EDT - Squarespace sends emails informing me of the pending transfer, including a "Review Request" button. Clicking on "Review Request" takes me to a page where I can cancel the transfer, but no feature for me to approve the transfer.
    • I visit the Squarespace Domains dashboard for these domains and again there is no indication that the transfer is happening, much less a way to quickly approve it.
    • Upon closer reading of the notification emails, I find the text: "If we do not hear from you by May 15, 2024, the transfer will proceed."Β 
Screenshot of a portion of an email. Text reads: Squarespace Domains II LLC received notification on May 10, 2024 that you have requested a transfer to another domain name registrar. If you want to proceed with this transfer, you do not need to respond to this message. If you wish to cancel the transfer, please contact us by May 15, 2024, or click the button below. A large button reads Review Request. Further text reads: If we do not hear from you by May 15, 2024, the transfer will proceed.
Screenshot of transfer review request. Text reads: Domain Transfer Request. A request has been made to transfer your domain from Squarespace to another provider. If you did not make this request, you can cancel it and your domain will remain on Squarespace. A large button reads Cancel Request.

I guess Squarespace intends to sit on my domains for another 5 days, hoping I will fall for their deceptive pattern and cancel the transfer?

Update 2024-05-10 3:15pm EDT: lol I tried their chat bot

Screenshot of discussion with Squarespace Assistant. I have written: I would like to approve two outgoing domain transfers and complete their transfer away from Squarespace. The assistant replied: Domain transfers can take up to seven business days. This timing is out of Squarespace's control.

Update 2024-05-13 11:10am EDT: still waiting

Namecheap alerts. 'Domain is with another registrar. Awaiting release from previous registrar.'

Continue to watch this space? I guess??

Anyway, you asked.

Sat May 4

Are you peeking out during eternal Caturday?

Fri May 3
πŸ” Reposted
post from
aaaah πŸŽ‰πŸ₯Ή the Palestinian Relief Bundle just made
Thu May 2
πŸ” Reposted