This work is licensed Creative Commons - Attribution.
Decorations in a pinch!
Note: This script is designed to work with the MakerBot Unicorn Pen Plotter: http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-unicorn-pen-plotter-kit.html
This Python script takes your message and turns it into G-Code which prints one character on each page of a pad of sticky notes. It makes use of mifga’s tricks for pen registration and page-changing.
There are configuration options at the top of the file, so tweak them to make things work best for your bot and your needs.
This is a work in progress. Fork it and make improvements on GitHub! https://gist.github.com/771967
Ideas for improvements:
- Fills and/or cross-hatching
- Deploy this as a web service
- Clean up the code :)
Generating a Banner
You’ll need Python and Pycairo and its dependencies: http://cairographics.org/pycairo/
On Ubuntu, this is as easy as:
sudo apt-get install python-cairo-dev
You can then run the script with:
python sticky_notes.py 'Your Message Here' > out.gcode
Printing Your Banner
- Attach a pad of sticky notes to your build platform. Scotch tape is good.
- Center the build platform at 0,0, so the pen is over the center of the pad.
- Open your G-Code file in ReplicatorG and click “Build”.
- Watch the pen as it does its registration test and make sure it touches the center of the pad.
- If the pen is too low or too high, or the pad is not centered, now is the time to fix it by hand. Feel free to click “No” and restart the build to redo the registration test.
- If the pen is in place, click “Yes” and watch your first letter appear!
- When the letter is finished, you will be prompted about retrieving the print.
- Remove the build platform and take off the top sticky note.
- Replace the build platform and click “Yes”
- Repeat steps 4-8 until your message is complete!