Below are notes from the "broadcast" portion of the meetup.
martymcgui.re – Went to IndieWebCamp Austin, and it was great! Some notes on that below. IndieWebCamp Baltimore is scheduled and people are RSVPing and booking plane tickets, so he is very excited! The schedule now appears to be locked in and it's time to market it hard. Also demo'd the way he shows multiphoto posts on his site with CSS Grid (example). 2018-01-01 commitments progress: super happy with IWC Baltimore progress, expects to cut is close with his commitment to move his site to Hugo by 2018.
brksavage.com – Been working on a crash course in WordPress, HTML, kind of overloaded on it. Tonight worked on another project because of writer's block.
derekfields.is – Been geeking out on codrops – really nice visualizations and animations on the web with SVG, WebGL, and more. So pretty! Adding a blog page to his site (by hand). Researching how to incorporate Ghost into his site. Started a 100 Days of Code project! Similar to 100 Days of IndieWeb, the goal is to get an hour of coding done every day and tweet your progress. Missed a couple of days over the weekend, but enjoys sharing out his progress and the community support. Would like to have a buddy to support each other. 2018-01-01 commitment progress: working on apostrophe and a cloud service to host it, downloaded Ubuntu tools for Windows.
bouhmad.com – Site is down at the moment. Needs to get it back up and on HTTPS. Wants to do a blog post on experiences as being a dual full-time student and full-time employee out of high school, and the "full college experience". 2018-01-01 commitments: wants to get that blog post up, would like to commit to blogging at least once every two weeks in the new year capturing projects as a resource to others but also daily life as an archive for his future self.
jonathanprozzi.net – 2018-01-01 commitments: little progress on his pre-2018 commitment but still thinks he has time. Really wants to get his local WordPress + git setup going soon. A new near term goal: RSVP to IWC Baltimore!
Bitcoin! Coinbase! GDAX! How unreal the value is right now and how unusable it all is.
- IndieWebCamp Austin! Marty went and loved it. We went looked at the Sessions Grid and talked about each one at a high level.
- Talked about the WordPress Post Kinds plugin and how it might be useful to have a series of blog posts that explains how to get the most out of this plugin, tying that into details about the different types on the wiki and so on.
- Talked a lot about IndieWebCamp Baltimore. It's shaping up to be very exciting! Aaron Parecki got the event and wiki pages looking good, so now we want to start getting the word out everywhere.
- Brianna Privett talk about using WordPress as a life log.
- Ways to put WordPress development into git, like Bedrock/Trellis, putting the whole site in version control, organizing child themes, etc.
- CSS Grid! It seems like magic!
- 2017 was an amazing year for HWC Baltimore. Thanks to everyone who made it a success. We can't wait to see everyone again and made an awesome 2018!
Thanks to everybody who came out! Due to the upcoming holiday around the next usual meeting, this will be our last meeting of 2017. We look forward to seeing you at the Digital Harbor Foundation Tech Center for the first meeting of 2018! We'll be meeting again on
Tuesday, January 9th
Big thanks to you and @jonathanprozzi for hosting! Looking forward to 2018
Thanks to everyone who came out for tonight's @HWCBaltimore! It will be the last of 2017, so we'll see you next on January 9th! Thanks for making it a great year. We can't wait to build a better web with you in 2018! Notes from tonight's meeting: martymcgui.re/2017/12/12/204…